Southampton have been eliminated from the Championship play-offs due to the ‘Spygate’ scandal.
Middlesbrough have been reinstated after a blistering decision by an independent commission, which heard the EFL’s case on Tuesday, and will now face Hull City in the play-off final in four days’ time on Saturday, May 23.
In addition, Southampton have been given a four-point deduction for next season.
According to the EFL, Southampton admitted “numerous breaches” relating to the unauthorized filming of their opponents’ training before games.
“Southampton were first charged on Friday 8 May, with additional charges issued on Sunday 17 May in relation to additional breaches during the 2025–26 season.
“Those additional charges arose from matters identified after preliminary proceedings involving Middlesbrough were initiated.
“Southampton admitted a breach of the rules requiring clubs to act in the utmost good faith and prohibiting observation of another club’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match.
“The deemed breaches relate to fixtures against Oxford United in December 2025, Ipswich Town in April 2026 and Middlesbrough in May 2026.”
Southampton were initially reported to the EFL by Middlesbrough after they alleged that a member of the Southampton staff had breached league rules by spying on a training session ahead of their play-off semi-final on 7 May, with the EFL charging them the following day.
Southampton fans who purchased tickets for the play-off final can receive a full refund.
Southampton appeal decision ‘shocked and appalled’
sky sports news Understands that Southampton have already lodged their appeal against the Commission’s findings and will fight the decision. The EFL have acknowledged that the outcome of the appeal “may result in further changes to Saturday’s programme”.
sky sports news Reporter Mark McAdam said the Saints were “shocked and appalled” by the decision, adding that he believed the sanction was “disproportionate”.
He said: “Southampton feel they still have a very strong chance after the appeal they will play Hull on Saturday.
“Nobody expected these sanctions to be imposed. This is the biggest possible punishment given to the Saints.”
rudderDuring this time, They are disappointed as they have been preparing to face Southampton since last week, sky sports news Understands. The Saints were beaten twice by Hull in the Championship this season – but in contrast, Middlesbrough beat Hull 4–1 before losing 1–0 to The Tigers at home in December.
wrexham, which finished the regular season seventh, It is believed that the situation is being monitored. sky sports news Understand that they will not make a decision on any possible actions until after the appeal is heard.
Borough ‘welcomes’ Southampton’s expulsion
Meanwhile, Middlesbrough have issued a statement saying: “Middlesbrough Football Club welcomes the outcome of today’s Disciplinary Commission hearing.
“We believe this sends a clear message to the future of our game in relation to sporting integrity and conduct. As a club, we are now focusing on our game against Hull City at Wembley on Saturday. Ticket information for our supporters will be available shortly.”
‘The borough will find its stance entirely justified’
Sky Sports News chief correspondent Kaveh Solhekol:
This is an incredible change for Middlesbrough, and they will feel vindicated after working hard to ensure their interests are represented. From their point of view, what Southampton did was completely against the rules and gave them an unfair advantage.
The Middlesbrough owners and officials will feel fully justified in their stance. And, of course, it feels great now that the players did not go on holidays and instead returned to training, as they can now prepare for what is often described as the richest game in world football.
If you win it, you’re potentially looking at around £200m of revenue.
Spygate Timeline: How Did We Get Here?
7th May: Middlesbrough lodged a formal complaint with the EFL alleging that a member of the Southampton staff spied on their training session three days before the Championship play-off semi-final first leg.
9th May: Boro boss Kim Helberg accused Southampton of cheating after the first leg ended in a 0–0 draw at the Riverside Stadium.
12 may:Southampton were charged with breaching EFL rules in relation to spying allegations. Southampton requested additional time to conduct an internal review.
The second leg of the play-off semi-finals is played at St Mary’s. Shea Charles’s extra-time winner gave Southampton a 2–1 win and a place in the Championship play-off final.
An emotional Helberg hit out at the “disgraceful snitching” before Saints boss Tonda Eckert erupted in his press conference after being asked “Are you a rookie?”
13 may: Photographs purportedly showing a Southampton analyst near Middlesbrough’s training ground were publicly released.
14 may: It has been announced that an independent hearing to determine the fate of Southampton will take place on or before Tuesday 19 May. In a statement, the EFL say “there may be a change to the fixture as a result of disciplinary proceedings.”
15th May: Middlesbrough publicly called for Southampton to be eliminated from the play-offs. In a statement, he said: “In these circumstances, the only appropriate response is a sporting sanction that would prevent Southampton FC from participating in the EFL Championship play-off final.”
18th May: Middlesbrough players have returned to training as the outcome of an independent disciplinary hearing approaches.
19th May:The EFL announces the expulsion of Southampton from the play-off final following a hearing.



